You are on the front lines every day fighting for social justice, important causes and effective programs. What would you say to Donald Trump if he were sitting in your office about the policies we need to strengthen our communities and solve our nation’s toughest problems?
Join us for #MacroSW chat on February 23 at 9 p.m. EST to delve into pressing topics raised by social workers and the Trump Administration and share your stories, policy remedies and suggestions for how we can collaborate. This chat follows up on our invitation to the President and his administration to engage the social work community in a question and answer forum.
For this #MacroSW chat we will compile ideas and feedback to deliver to the Trump Administration. We hope Trump officials will join us and also extend an open invitation to Trump supporters who have similar concerns.
Here are some guidelines and posed questions for the chat.
- Review the topics proposed to in our open invitation which include, refugees and immigration reform; child care beyond tax credits and paid leave; reducing opioid, crack, drug and alcohol addiction and criminalization; affordable healthcare for everyone; veteran’s mental health and addiction; violence against minorities and the police and, economy and social justice. Feel free to discuss other topics as well.
- What do you want @realDonaldTrump and his administration to know about social workers?
- What are your top three issues you want @realDonaldTrump to address and why?
- Share with @realDonaldTrump and his administration a challenge, success story or research/data related to your priority issues.
- Tweet directly to the President and Trump Administration representatives in your responses. Here are some of their Twitter handles:
- @realDonaldTrump – President, https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump and https://twitter.com/POTUS
- @IvankaTrump – No official government title, https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump
- @mike_pence – Vice President, https://twitter.com/mike_pence and https://twitter.com/VP
- @KellyannePolls – Counselor to the President, https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls
- @PressSec – White House Press Secretary, https://twitter.com/PressSec and https://twitter.com/seanspicer
- @Reince45 – White House Chief of Staff, https://twitter.com/Reince45
- Feel free to add others!
- Don’t forget to tell us what state you work and live in and tweet directly to your Congressional reps too so they get the message or thanked for their efforts. Find your House Representatives and Senators.
Guidelines for engagement: Our goal is for a respectful and substantive dialogue on both sides of the political aisle so we can work toward real solutions and contribute to emerging policy discussions that impact social workers and those we serve. No cursing or disparaging comments about the President or the Trump Administration. We will also block and report anyone who is trolling, cyberbullying and disrespectful to chat participants who express their opinions. We stand by creating a safe environment for discussion consistent with the NASW Code of Ethics. Check out the Twitter rules for reference.
After the #MacroSW chat, consider writing a blog post to share resources, successes, and struggles and tell your personal stories. When sharing don’t forget to use the #MacroSW hashtag so everyone can see your post!
We will do everything we can to deliver the transcript of this chat to the Trump Administration. If you know anyone with a direct connect, let us know!
- Advancing the American Agenda: How the Social Work Profession Will Help, National Association of Social Workers
- Tracking Trump’s Agenda, New York Times
- Gov Track, Track Legislation and Debate in Congress
- MegaVote, How Congress is Voting.
- Tracking Congress In The Age Of Trump, FiveThirtyEight
- Key Facts About Refugees, Pew Research Center
- Everything You Need To Know About Block Grants — The Heart Of GOP’s Medicaid Plans, Kaiser Health News
- Media Coverage of Law Enforcement Use of Force and Disability, Ruderman Family Foundation
- Contact Elected Officials
- More resources can be found on our website.