Click here for a copy of the chat transcript.
For our June Media Night, we will be watching Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA produced by Frontline. Here is the description of the movie:
In Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA, FRONTLINE goes inside the politics of America’s gun debate. Veteran FRONTLINE filmmaker Michael Kirk investigates the NRA, its political evolution and influence, and how it has consistently succeeded in defeating new gun control legislation.
Here is a link the movie (54 minutes): http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/gunned-down/. You can watch the movie for free.
Here are the questions we hope to discuss during the chat:
- From the movie, what are some of the special interests influencing the gun debate in America? #MacroSW
- How are current gun policies affecting your community? And the individuals & families who live in your community? #MacroSW
- How can we start talking about gun policies in America in more inclusive way; with less divisiveness? #MacroSW
- How do our professional ethics guide social workers in responding to the gun debate? #MacroSW
- What lessons about lobbying have you learned that can be applied to #MacroSW?
- What single word best describes how the film made you feel? #MacroSW
- What’s next? How do we as social workers promote practical solutions to the gun debates in America? #MacroSW
#MacroSW is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis. The chats are held weekly on Twitter every Thursday at 9 p.m. EST (6 p.m. PST). Click here for a list of chat partners. For information about how to participate in the #MacroSW chat, view our FAQs. For chat schedule and chat archives check out: http://macrosw.com