In the 116th year of our profession, there are more than 600,000 social workers in the United States that likely passed through one of our 235 schools of social work. In fact, CSWE accredits close to 800 social work programs and many schools have both BSW and MSW accreditations. One of the reasons why social work has been called “the 21st century law degree” is because it embraces every possible super power. Need to navigate the patchwork quilt we call our health care system? Call a social worker. Need to pull together legislation to that protects the most vulnerable Americans? Call a social worker. Need to mend a broken relationship, heal wounds from childhood abuse and neglect, or overcome the fears standing in the way of becoming the best person you can be? Call a social worker. If social workers were to dress up like the superheroes they are and stand on the steps outside of ComiCon, they would probably look something like this:
For #SWMonth 2016, #MacroSW is partnering with some of the most important and influential social work organizations on social media. We are joining our wondertwin powers on Twitter to celebrate and promote social work. Our team of collaborating superheroes this month include:
- YSocialWork, (@YSocialWork), #2016SWSAD
- Rhonda Ragsdale (@profragsdale), #SaturdaySchool
- Jonathan Singer (@) and Sean Erreger (@StuckonSW), #SPSM
- American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare (@AASWSWorg), #Up4theChallenge
- National Association of Social Workers (@NASW), #socialwork
Our chat questions are:
- Why is #SWMonth important?
- What do you wish more people appreciated about social workers?
- With which industries should social works develop more effective partnerships?
- Who is your social work hero?/ What social worker inspires you?
- What is your favorite social work superpower?
- This Social Work Month, about which of these are you most excited?
Our Favorite Macro Social Workers by Sunya Folayan and Karen Zgoda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.