Click here to see a copy of the chat transcript.
For our first Documentary Movie Night, we will be watching Growing Up Trans produced by the PBS’s Frontline. Here is the description of the movie from Frontline:
Just a generation ago, it was adults, not kids, who changed genders. But today, many children are transitioning, too — with new medical options, and at younger and younger ages. In Growing Up Trans, FRONTLINE takes viewers on an intimate and eye-opening journey inside the struggles and choices facing transgender kids and their families.
Here is a link the trailer and the movie (1 hour and 24 minutes): http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/growing-up-trans/. You can watch the movie for free.
This movie shows what it is like for children in the US to transition genders from the individual and family perspectives. As you watch the movie, put on your #MacroSW hat and think about some of the policy, research and other macro-level issues that surround the individuals and families in this movie.
Here are the questions we hope to discuss during the chat:
- From the movie, what are some of the challenges for transgender kids and their parents?
- What are some macro-level approaches to addressing these challenges?
- What do you think is the most important policy issue affecting transgender children? Why?
- What do you think most Americans don’t realize about children who are transgendered?
- What single word best describes how the film made you feel?
- What’s next? How do we as social workers address the challenges experienced by transgender children?
#MacroSW is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis. The chats are held weekly on Twitter every Thursday at 9 p.m. EST (6 p.m. PST). Click here for a list of chat partners. For information about how to participate in the #MacroSW chat, view our FAQs. For chat schedule and chat archives check out: http://macrosw.com