You can read the transcript for the January 22nd chat Roe V Wade: The Social Workers Role as Reproductive Justice Advocate here on Storify.
To mark the 42nd anniversary of the Supreme Court of the United States landmark Roe V. Wade decision, #MacroSW Chats will be discussing this historic ruling on Thursday January 22nd at 9:00 PM EST.
The chat will cover:
- the role of the social worker as reproductive justice advocate.
- the current state of abortion laws.
Rachel West will be moderating the chat on behalf of ACOSA (@acosaorg).
#MacroSW Chats is collaboration Between the Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA), University at Buffalo School of Social Work, the Network for Social Work Management (NSWM), and Karen Zgoda (Instructor at Bridgewater State University). The chats are held on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month at 9:00 PM EST/ 6:00 PM PST.
Update 1/13/2015: Chat archive here! Pat collected chat resource highlights:
- Psychiatry after Ferguson, by Jonathan Metzl: bit.ly/1u0kefB
- Undoing Racism Internship Project [Video] “I am a Social Worker. And I am ACCOUNTABLE.” bit.ly/1srvoJb
- What’s Race Got to Do with It? http://www.whatsrace.org/pages/dialogues.htm
- Support the Ferguson Public Library: ferguson.lib.mo.us
- Emotional Emancipation Circles: “self-help groups in which we as Black people can work together to overcome and overturn the lie of Black inferiority–the root cause of the devaluing of Black lives.” bit.ly/1BRr49h
- Schools of Social Work offer statements on Ferguson, Black Lives Matter – from website of Council on Social Work Education: cswe.org/Meetings/75592.aspx (this is not a complete list)
- #FergusonSyllabus on Twitter
- #FergusonSyllabus Resources from Karen Zgoda: http://karenzgoda.org/2014/11/29/fergusonsyllabus-resources/
- “Preparing the Profession to Address Structural Racism” – a proposal that is part of the Grand Challenges Initiative for the American Academy of Social Work & Social Welfare: bit.ly/1DBI446
- See another Grand Challenges proposal on “Creating Healthy Roots: Design & Implement Curriculum for Recognizing & Removing Institutionalized, Racialized Policies & Practices within Social Work Systems Given Its Negative Impact on People of Color:” bit.ly/1u0mYcE
- Blog posts related to #Ferguson: “On #Ferguson and Social Work:” bit.ly/14Ryjjs; “Unrest in Ferguson a Human Response:” bit.ly/1BVhkcN ; “The Michael Brown Shooting: Why the Requirement for ‘Perfect’ Victims is about Race:” bit.ly/1IF39ZF
*Check out this link for the archive of most of our past #MacroSW chats: macrosw.wordpress.com/
#MacroSW Chats returns Thursday January 8th at 9:00 PM EDT/ 6:00 PM PDT. This is the first chat of the new year. DeAndrea Blaylock-Johnson (@ChrSexMaven) will be our guest expert. We will be discussing #Ferguson and #BlackLivesMatter. The University at Buffalo’s School of Social Work will be moderating. You can send questions to @UBSSW.